24 December 2008

A Rug's Topography


Say hello to the rug's topography 
It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it 
Say hello to the shrinking in your head 
You can't see it but you know its there so don't neglect it

So begins A Perfect Circle's "The Nurse Who Loved Me", from their 2003 offering, Thirteenth Step. Back when Donny and I were close (2004 in this instance), he brought it up often, and so it became the inspiration for the front of the now infamous birthday card I made him this year.

The "rug" was made from a design Kirby created for her "K.E.S" exhibition in 2007. I used it because it's made from the letter "S". Oops, did I just give away Donny's real identity? Anyway, also featured is a spelling mistake. Instead of typing "it's supposed to be a rugs topography", closer inspection reveals that it reads "it's supposed ot be a rugs topography". I didn't actually detect this until a few months after sending it, which still cuts me up a little inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment