22 December 2008

Delerium and Disorder (Hamilton Part II)

I may be just an atom in an ectoplasmic sea, but most of the time I feel like I'm destined for more.

My weekend in Hamilton was mostly wasted, dreaming up cunning plans to cause people heartarche, and bank up some bad karma for myself. Everything came crashing down last night when I heard that some guy had pulled a knife on one of my best friends.

What. The. Fuck.

What is up with these kinds of people? First of all, what are you doing carrying knives around? And then... what could a girl ever do to you that was so bad that it warranted pulling out your knife and threatening her with it? For fuck's sake!

Kirby has this off-the-rails ex-boyfriend named Cody, who was kind of a lost cause when she met, and continues to be so to this day. Anyway, yesterday he was arrested for crashing his car while driving drunk, so Kirby had to go and pick him up and take care of him. I say she "had" to, when really she didn't. But that's Kirby. Pulling people out of the gutter, whether they deserve it or not. Anyway, for whatever reason, Cody's car was left unlocked on the side of the road where he crashed it, and when Kirby left his place, there were some guys rummaging through it, taking whatever pitiful belongings he had left in there. If it's any indication of the life that Cody leads, all they found was a packet of cigarette filters and some obnoxious hip-hop CDs. Whatever, apparently that was all these guys were after.

So Kirby approached them and told them where to go. "I got on some sort of adrenaline kick, or something," she told me later in the night, trembling over a red wine. The situation deteriorated to the extent that one of the guys pulled a knife out of his jeans.
"What, you're going to stab me?!" she taunted him. It was a pretty ridiculous notion on his part, given that the altercation took place at an intersection alongside one of Hamilton's busiest roads. In broad daylight. Pretty soon the guys just walked off, having thrown the CDs at Kirby's head.

Should we really have to deal with this kind of thing happening to our young women?

Kirby had been on her way to work, but when she got there she was pretty well unable to do anything, so her flatmate came and took her to the police station to make a statement. I hate to say it, but this kind of carry-on happens so often in my hometown that I doubt anything will come of it. It's a sad reality of living in half-assed gangland.

Nothing really came of my stupid plan to vandalise Donny's billboards. I couldn't find any and even if I had, I do kind of wonder if doing such a trivial thing would have any sort of butterfly effect on the rest of the world. Writing obnoxious remarks on massive posters of some guy I used to know is not really how I want to be remembered.

I think it's time for me to wake the fuck up and do something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment