13 December 2008

Makeup! I'm allowed...

Since everything else I write is grim, self-centred and sarcastic (even pessimistic, one might say), I'm going to change my tune - almost completely, and go with something fun, self-centred, and hopefully helpful... my guide to makeup! Yay.

I'm going to borrow the categories from "Best of Sephora", just because otherwise we could be here all night. Eh, who am I kidding. We will be anyway.

COMPLEXION: Foundation, Tinted Moisturiser, Powder, Primer, Concealer
Foundation / Sephora's Pick:
Bare Escentuals i.d. bareMinerals Foundation SPF 15
My Pick:
Clinique Superbalanced Makeup
Yeah, everyone knows that Bare Escentuals is amazing, but it's just too fucking hard to get hold of over here for a reasonable amount of coin. Big-ups to Leslie Blodgett for the SPF - it's pretty important to have sun protection in your makeup. Admittedly, my personal favourite Clinique doesn't contain it (boo), but I like to make up for it by mixing with Clinique's City Block SPF 50. My one is liquid, gives amazing coverage, and matches my skintone perfectly. It's heavensent.

Tinted Moisturiser / Sephora's Pick: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser
My Pick: None

Boo. Tinted Moisturiser sucks. I've never tried a good one, and I don't think I ever will. It should be made illegal.

Powder / Sephora's Pick: Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil
My Pick: MAC Mineralize SkinFinish Duo

Again, Mineral Veil does conquer all, but MAC is just so much more accessible here in the Land of the Long White. SkinFinish completes my life - the powder is to die for, and the highlighter sculpts like Michelangelo. And the $82 brush the girl sold me with it was well worth not eating for that week, too.

Primer / Sephora's Pick: Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
My Pick: Benefit That Gal
I've said this before, but I just don't rate the Smashbox primer. I find it akin to what one might expect to applying foundation over the top of an actual oil slick. There must be an art to applying it, but I think things should be user-friendly, and not just to Pat McGrath. I hate this!
That Gal, however, gives a lovely rosy glow, and a nice base to work upon. Priced perhaps a little too steeply, but I'd go without Tank for a bit if I needed some more. Which I do.

Concealer / Sephora's Pick: Bare Escentuals i.d. bareMinerals
My Pick: The Body Shop Concealer Pencil
Sounds crazy that I would recommend something in pencil/crayon form, because normally I avoid them like the plague, but I promise this is different. It should be applied to the back of the hand first, to warm it up, then blended perfectly onto the skin with a (clean!) finger for flawless coverage. My one is a perfect match, and if I'm going for a no-makeup look (ie: never), I wear this on its own. Bare Escentuals? Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment