26 March 2009

Just Like Lash Extensions, Only Crunchy

Recently, I received Sephora's "Eight Best-selling Mascaras" email. Given that I'm a mascara fiend, I had to read it and make my own list of eight.

Sephora's Top Eight (from 144 possible mascaras!):
Lancome Oscillation - the eletronic one that does the wiggling for you. O. M. G.
Dior DiorShow - otherwise known as a gift from God
Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash - I've written about this one! http://elegantmainstream.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-mascara.html
Benefit BADgal Waterproof - mmm Benefit
Imju Fiberwig Tiny Sniper - if they didn't get you at the name, will they ever?
Sephora Brand Lash Stretcher - I'm liking the brush
LORAC Special Effects - hmm, not completely sold on double-ended mascaras. Prove me wrong, Carol, prove me wrong.
Clinique High Impact Curling - yay! Clinique rules.

Mim Artiste's Top Eight - in no particular order:
Napoleon Perdis Long Black - mmm good, loves allantoin for *silky* lashes
L'Oreal Telescopic - can't be beaten for length!!
Smashbox Bionic - the lash-lifting effect shouldn't be overlooked. Ideal for daily wear
Dior DiorShow - the stuff of angels. Seriously
Clinique High Impact - my staple product for my Santa Monica frollicking days
Napoleon Perdis Madame Curl Curl - it's no Long Black, but it's close
Lancome Hypnose Onyx - Hypnose, only with sparkles! I heart sparkles
L'Oreal Lash Architect - it's been a while, but I still miss this one

HYPE

Givenchy's crazy invention, Phenomen'Eyes has received over 1,000 reviews on Sephora.com. While they're mixed, and at times contradictory, the Review function is something I refer to constantly while trawling for new products. A realistic advertisement follows.



Imju's Fiberwig. Okay, okay so nothing new here, but I still have yet to have the opportunity to try this stuff out! Add to that their new Tiny Sniper and that's like a whole world of untapped potential. Sephora.com reviews are all over the show for the Tiny Sniper, but I'm willing to take the chance. It's made in Japan, people! So far, everything made in Japan in my life is awesome.

Lancome Oscillation. One of those, oh no they di-n't "innovations" that sees the mascara wand vibrate while you apply your mascara. It has huge potential for disaster (in a similar way to heated eyelash curlers) and well, seems slightly unnecessary. Can't you just wiggle your own darn mascara wand?!  That said, I'll probably end up buying it.

MAC Dazzle Lash. Has ANYONE tried this yet? If you have, PLEASE fill me in!! I've been dying to forever, but my current financial situation doesn't allow me to get within 200ft of a MAC store without going into spontaneous human combustion mode, so I don't know if it's yet reached our fair shores. Other new MAC offerings include the exciting new Studio Sculpt SPF15 Foundation. Gimme more! It's a buildable gel-based product guaranteed to please. You have no idea how BAD I WANT IT! My own Clinique foundation is running out rapidly, and this is shaping up to be its replacement.

Isn't it about time OPI brought out a new range of fashion colours? And no, Suzi, the "Fairytale Bride" series, while lovely, doesn't cut mustard with me. Not after the huge success of my personal favourite "India" collection. What about an "Oceans" theme, where the colours would range from an eye-catching atoll blue for the Pacific, to a funky calypso lime for the Carribean (yes, I am aware it's a sea, not an ocean). An ice blue tint could be added to the startling Alpine Snow, already a hit in OPI's current lineup, for the Southern, or Antarctic Ocean, and a Bollywood-inspired turquoise could represent the Indian Ocean. I'm beginning to feel like I missed my calling in life...
A recent omission from the OPI website is "Colourcopia", the shade guessing game where I reigned with a perfect score. Sure, deducing from a somewhat cryptic clue that the shade on the screen is "Coney Island Cotton Candy" and not one of the other ten almost-identical shades, isn't everyone's idea of fun, but it would be nice to still have the option!

Anyway, I'm getting waaay off topic, and I still have to clean out my kit before tomorrow - I'm working the Servilles in-house design competition tomorrow, then catching the night train to Wellington for the weekend.

Peace and love, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment